Data Science for Business, by Foster Provost and Tom Fawcett, is for those who need to understand data science as well as those who want to develop data-analytic thinking. Data Science for Business is not a book of algorithms. Instead it presents a set of fundamental principles for extracting useful knowledge from data. These principles are the basis of many algorithms for data mining and underlie methods for approaching business problems data-analytically.
Originally published in 2013, it has been updated continually. It is now in use in over 150 colleges and universities in 26 countries around the world.
It has won many accolades:
- O'Reilly's top-selling data science book
- Required reading by Fortune Magazine
- Required reading by Harvard Business School
- Top-book lists:
- Top 20 Best Data Science Books You Should Read (Business Intelligence Solutions Review)
- Top 15 Best Data and Data Analytics Books (datapine)
- Top 10 Essential Books for the Data Enthusiast (KDNuggets)
- 15 Must Read Books for Entrepreneurs in Data Science (Analytics Vidhya)
- 30 Best Data Science Books (Data Science Degree Programs)